A limited number of laptops will be available to check out at the event, but we encourage all attendees to bring their own fully charged laptop in preparation for the edit-a-thon.
Create an account
Wikipedia has a limit on the number of accounts that can be created in a day at one IP address, so we highly encourage attendees to create a Wikipedia account prior to coming. To create your account:
- On the main page of Wikipedia, click “Create account” in the upper right corner.
- Enter your desired username and password. Confirm your password.
- Optionally, enter your email address. Entering your email address is not required, but it will allow you to receive account notification emails or request a new password.
- Type the text displayed in the CAPTCHA Security Check image.
- Click the “Create your account” button.
Once you create your account and log in for the first time, you’ll be directed to some of Wikipedia’s introductory pages for new users with links to tutorials and other resources. The Wikipedia: Introduction and Help: Getting started pages provide lots of information and training.